You are here

Unclaimed Funds

Unclaimed funds are funds held by the Court for an owner or recipient who is entitled to money, but who has not claimed ownership.  Most unclaimed funds arise when dividends (assets) are distributed by the case trustee to creditors pursuant to settlement of a bankruptcy case, but the property goes unclaimed.  Unclaimed funds may arise out of a trustee being provided with incomplete or outdated address information for the recipient. Any party desiring to retrieve unclaimed funds may do so by submitting a completed Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds and proposed Order for Payment of Unclaimed Funds, along with the appropriate supplemental tax form.  Instructions for Filing an Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds and supplement forms follow below.  

Instructions for Filing an Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds
Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds 
Order for Payment of Unclaimed Funds

Supplemental Forms:
Form W-9 – Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Form AO-213 – Vendor Information/TIN Certification (fillable PDF)
Form AO-213P - Payee Information/TIN Certification (fillable PDF)

The following information must be provided in support of the application: copy of a valid government-issued photo ID of the party entitled to the funds and proof of notice to the U. S. Attorney. The Court will not accept any documents which appear to have been altered in any material way. Documentation should include original signatures.  Additional documentation may be required under certain circumstances.

Questions regarding unclaimed funds retrieval procedures should be directed to the Finance Department by email at or by phone at (859) 233-2608.

To search for Unclaimed Funds for the Eastern District of Kentucky, click here to obtain access to the U.S. Bankruptcy Unclaimed Funds Locator national database.